Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Unwieldy Words for the Decades of Life

According to this rather disheartening Wiki article on aging, there is indeed a way to say "that 50-something in my yoga class can do a better back-bend than I"; or, "I am routinely trounced in the swimming pool by people old enough to be my grandparents"; or, "I, a 27-year-old inflexible mess, cannot touch my toes for a million dollars and a big fat tuna steak".

Pray tell, you say?

Well, I am after all a vicenarian, and will continue as such for the next 3 years, at which time I will become a tricenarian. If all goes well, I will do most of my Ironman pursuits and live through some great adventures before reaching the status of quadragenarian; at which time, burned-out and childless, I will seek solace in the workplace. As a quinquagenarian, perhaps I will re-unite with my inner self and take a yoga class filled with giggly denarians and yuppies of all ages. I can't think up to sexagenarian, and beyond to septuagenarian, octogenarian, and nonagenarian. I'm not sure I'd even want to live that long, and actually I'd rather not think of it.

My great-grandmother, however, was a centenarian. Lastly, a supercentenarian is someone who is unlucky enough to reach 110+ years of age.

Oh sh**, I'm actually only 26. Back up! I'm aging myself!