Friday, July 11, 2008

Balance

I have a bit of an issue with balance; it's easy for me to get immersed in something to the point of it being an obsession. If I were a dog, I'd be an Irish Setter: high-strung, tempramental, and teeming with nervous energy. Prone to bouts of anxiety and other irrational behaviour, I am the kind of person that gets struck by some new-fangled idea and within 24 hours has convinced herself to re-organize her life, spend a bunch of money, or what-have-you in order to accomplish said idea...

Usually, these stunning revelations occur at night, right before I should be going to bed. Thus, I hardly ever sleep enough to support the next day's activities. There is always some other procrastination technique I can use to avoid surrender to somnolence on any given evening. I have an aversion to sleep because it means that I will wake up and have to start another day of same 'ol, same 'ol work, cook, eat, sleep, and try to workout if my feet feel up to it... I mean, who'd want to waste 6-8 hours of free time in being unconscious?

Anyway, I've averaged 4h per night this week and it is becoming ridiculous.

This morning I got up at quarter to 6, ate breakfast, packed my swimming bag, put my shoes on, and was so dizzy (seeing stars and half-dreaming in that crazy, sleep-deprived state) that I just lay down on my bed for 5 mins to clear my head and BOOM it was quarter to 8... I threw my swimming stuff out of my bag and got changed and ran to my appointment, then stumbled to work with a HUGE coffee and... ... a chocolate croissant!

I know, how could I? Guess what... I relished every morsel.

But I've heard from many people now, that I need to try to relax, have fun, "chill out", and enjoy life a bit more.. because life is generally good you know... and there is a lot to be thankful for. Heck, I live in Canada, in the beautiful nation's capital, and I have a bike, and I have two legs that still work well enough to take me places :) and I have a job, and a bit of health insurance, and access to a good variety of healthy food, and a nice little apartment in a safe area of town, and a lot of great friends.

And the weather is beautiful, and it's Friday! So if I could just get a bit more sleep...