Monday, April 7, 2008

Preparations

Spring has finally decided to show up! And what a lovely weekend for running it was! My chest/lungs are recovering steadily but of course, I overdid it and aggravated my ITB at the hip… guess it serves me right, but disappointing nonetheless because I’ll need my wheels in good condition for the trip. I picked up a pair of hybrid trail runners yesterday, and they’ll be my one and only pair of footwear for the next 2+ weeks…might have to chain them to the bed. Not so sure about the 30-person co-ed hostel experience; I don’t really expect to sleep much while I share a room with those party-going young’uns.

My apartment is totally a disaster area, with clothes, luggage, and sundries strewn about haphazardly. I spent hours going over air security regulations last night, in the attempt to pack a tiny carry-on that I could live from if the airline lost my checked bag (I half expect it to). Be prepared: Scout’s motto? I’ve learned that the lighter and smaller you want your pack, the longer it takes and the more creativity you must employ.

Ready? No. Nervous? Yes. I’m always the kind of person who needs to have a contingency plan… “If it can go wrong, it will”. Keeping in mind that we’ll be travelling to G8 countries (!) the cost of necessities will be much higher than here, where we tend to take things like clean, cheap drinking water for granted (and long, hot showers!). The stress of spending so much money on even the basics--food, travel and lodging--is making me feel kind of guilty! I have to stop myself from thinking of the alternative uses of these funds. Then there is sickness, injury, and all that jazz. Now add some worry about theft and personal safety into the mix and you’ve got a recipe for traveller’s anxiety!

I probably won’t be posting again until after I get back…. so long for now.